Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:15:44 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First time Vinum user. Setup problems

Tom,

tparquet@twcny.rr.com said:
> At boot, I get the following:
> vinum: loaded
> vinum: /dev is mounted read-only  not rebuilding /dev/vinum
> Can't open /dev/vinum/Control read only file system

I haven't looked at this on 4.7, but on the releases I'm working
on (4.2 and 4.3--don't ask), most of this is normal.

At initial boot, / is mounted read-only.  Vinum is started before
/ is remounted read/write, so vinum is unable to make updates in /dev.
However this is basically harmless as all the /dev entries should
be present from when you last made vinum changes, and shouldn't
need to be changed.

/dev/vinum/Control won't appear in /dev until you create a configuration.
So until you do that, you may want to consider NOT starting vinum
at boot time, though the messages you're getting are harmless.

> Are IDE drives supported by Vinum?

Yes.  That's what I'm using quite happily.

Tony
--
Tony Landells						<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Principal Networks, Security & IT Systems Engineer	Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319