Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 1996 17:25:48 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Caching

Hi,

> Can someone explain the added intricacies of caching in a multiprocessor
> but my question is really pointed at making me understand why it costs so
> much for a Pentium p6-200 if you include 512K of cache (it ups the price
> over 600 bucks per chip).
one reason: supply and demand, ie they feel they can sell about as many
as they produce at that price... it will drop.

> not getting the p6 with cache make me incur a large penalty?  Would a p5
p6 comes with 256K cache minimum.
I would NOT give Intel the blood money for the extra cache.

> with cache be equivalently quicker, mhz for mhz, than a p6 without it?
> Thats the kind of stuff I'm flailing around with, in trying to determine
> what kind of smp platform to buy.  Help!

I would NOT get a dual p6 with the orion chipset, which most still use.
does anyone know whats available with the newer natoma?

Be aware that you will be on the cutting edge if buying this sort of hardware
today.  IMHO, any decision could end up being bad, things just haven't shaken
out yet.

economy: dual P5 with tritonII
deluxe:  dual P6 with natoma

For these reasons I went the economy path:

GA586DX512 (dual P5, 512k cache):	$350
133mHz P5:  2 x $210:			$420

The basic board benches well as a uniproc machine.  It includes onboard
adaptec 2940UW, saving you $200+.  I figured that if it didn't work out
I could strip it of CPUs & memory and not loose much money.

---
this document compares various cache schemes:

X86 Multiprocessing Basics:
http://www.chips.ibm.com/products/x86/appnote/40208.ps

--
Steve Passe	| powered by