Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 22:25:18 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Code Red 2 - (was : Attempted Buffer Overrun in via httpd? )

If you are only getting one every 5 minutes, you're not being targeted
much, meaning you're not very high on the prng cycle.  I've gotten
about 1300 hits since I closed off the firewall - I never get much
traffic, other than myself :) from work, etc.

I'm seeing anywhere from 3 to 7 per minute in the last hour.

I wonder if they'll _ever_ get this one under wraps?

*THANKS* bill!

On 08/05/01 07:35 PM, David Kelly sat at the `puter and typed:
> rshea@opendoor.co.nz writes:
> > Although Code Red is old news (hopefully) to everyone with IIS machines in
> > their network I would just point out that in the last 36 hours a so called Code
> > Red II has arisen (if you look in your logs you'll see that some of the
> > default.ida attempts now have a padding of 'X' rather than 'N'). It has a much
> > nastier effect and rebooting ain't going to fix it. Once again the June 18 IIS
> > patch will avoid infection ...
>
> Is getting bad as on Aug 1 there was an average of 1 per hour on each of
> my work and home firewalls were there are no web servers. In the last
> day it has escalated to one every 5 minutes or so. Had a few on July 19.
>
> Normally I see a single poke on port 80 about once per week. Code Red
> apparently pokes 3 times before moving on.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net

Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Davis' Law of Traffic Density:
  The density of rush-hour traffic is directly proportional to
  1.5 times the amount of extra time you allow to arrive on time.