Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tenebrae <tenebrae@niceboots.com>
To:        Alex Varju <varju@webct.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-rc instability

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Alex Varju wrote:

> Just to follow up on my own issue here, I pulled the new memory out of my
> work machine (machine #2 from my original message), and it is running as
> happy as a clam now.  When I got home, I downloaded a copy of memtest
> (www.memtest86.com) ... machine #1 from above fails a large number of
> their tests.  It looks like I had the unfortunate luck of getting bad ram
> twice in one week from two very independent sources.

I had a similar problem back in May - bad memory.  I replaced the cheap
ghetto RAM I had in there with some nice spiffy Micron RAM and my server
is now quite happy.  I wish I had known about memtest before.  It would
have saved me a lot of headaches and fdisks (and leaping from -RELEASE to
-STABLE when I didn't necessarily need to).
It's only an extra couple bucks these days to get a reliable brand of RAM
like Micron or Kingston.  It's definitely worth it IMHO.
								-Tenebrae.