Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:22:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads and the scheduler

:I have a question.
:
:Our scheduler is based on the assumption that i/o bound processes
:will block, and cpu bound processes will not. Because of that, we
:can support a _lot_ of i/o bound processes on a 64 Hz scheduler. If,
:though, we allow the i/o bound processes to always make use of their
:full quanta through use of threads, won't this have a huge impact on
:our ability to support many i/o bound processes?
:
:So, I guess what I'm getting at is: won't the proposed thread model
:have an impact on the effectiveness of our scheduler?
:
:--
:Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)

    No, it won't, because most context switches are synchronous and
    the tick interval doesn't apply in those cases.  Asynchronizing
    I/O does not necessarily mean that the calling thread will continue to
    run.  If it has nothing to do it is going to exit or go to sleep whether
    the I/O is asynchronous or not.  It is definitely not going to waste
    cpu finishing out its quanta.

					-Matt