Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 21:56:49 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@oreillynet.com
Subject:   Re: snmp with mrtg for monitoring

In the last episode (Sep 24), BWS - Offwhite said:
> I am just learning how to use SNMP to monitor various aspects of my
> servers and then creating useful graphs with mrtg.  I am reading material
> here to learn how to do it.
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/09/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
>
> # cpu load
> Target[load]:.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.1&.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.2:HOME@localhost

Try .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.5.1 instead. 1.3.1 is a float, and since
mrtg just graphs integers, you'll only be able to graph the number 0
and 1.  1.5.1 is the loadavg * 100, so you'll go from 0..100 most of
the time.

> # swap
> Target[swap]:.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.3.0&.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.4.0:HOME@localhost

This should be fine.  Make sure that you set Options[load]=gauge (same
for swap).

> These both have a value for MaxBytes of 12500000.  I probably should
> change this, but the article from oreillynet.com does not give a
> specific recommondation for this.  The article seems to cut our a bit
> early leaving me to do a great deal of guesswork.

I'd set MaxBytes[load] at 100, but AbsMax at an outrageous number
(100000 or whatever).  That way you'll get numbers >100% when your
loadavg goes above 1.00.  Set MaxBytes[swap] at whatever your swap size
is.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com