Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:36:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install on {Net,Open}BSD vs install on FreeBSD

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> >Nate and others,
> >        would recognizing but refusing to do anything other than
> >issue a warning and succeeding for install -d be acceptible?
> >
> >"install -d is obsolete, use mtree"
>
> No! I want the functionality to be there.
>
> See Jordan's comment about editing Makefiles.
> He is saying the same thing that I am saying.

This time I agree too.  Nate's case is based on simplicity only, the rest
of the case is based on compatibility.  I've disagreed with Richard in the
past when he was using the compatibility to move us towards SYSV without a
strong reason, but since we ARE bsd, and the -d option IS bsd, the
compatibility argument is pretty strong and clear here.  I would like the
functionality argument added, so that FreeBSD isn't gratuitously
incompatible.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |