Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 23:31:28 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-user@freefall.freebsd.org, phk@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lkm/gnufpu Makefile

>  Modified:    lkm       Makefile
>  Added:       lkm/fpu   Makefile
>               lkm/gnufpu  Makefile
>  Log:
>  Two x87 emulators as LKMs.
>  If somebody with the right HW would make the change to /etc/rc to use
>  this, we could rip MATH_EMULATE from GENERIC...

It can't work with the right h/w (no fpu) or the right testing procedure
(fake no h/w) because at least /bin/sh uses the fpu for at least
_setjmp() and _longjmp().  It's hard to tell which things in the library
or in /etc/rc use floating point.  In fact, fsck uses floating point
just to print the fragmentation percentage, and csh uses floating point
for its printf(1) builtin, and sh uses floating point for its printf(1)
builtin (see /usr/src/usr.bin/printf/printf.c) although it uses a special
broken version of printf(3) for builtins and screws up `printf %g 1.1'...

Bruce