Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:22:44 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob89@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        Adrian.vandeVen@intervet.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound server and 386 sx

> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:38:56 +0200
> From: "Ven, AWE, van de (Adrian)" <Adrian.vandeVen@intervet.com>
> Subject: sound server and 386 sx
>
> i recently found an old 386 sx with 1mb ram and 40md hd. hopefully i can
> upgrade to 4 or 5 mb ram and bung in two network (isa) cards. is it possible
> to install freebsd on this as a firewall / router? i have a private network
> with 3 or 4 pc's behind it, all of which will have to have internet, mail
> and file sharing.
> how about these 1 floppy linux versions? any use?

PicoBSD has a floppy-based router project.  I've never used it, but
take a look at http://www.picobsd.org

Also, if you have a spare CDROM drive to put in it, you might look
at http://www.bsdtoday.com/2002/March/Features646.html and see if
it is useful to you.

> i'm also looking for some software so that i can play mp3's from my server
> (connected to my stereo), but launced from a differant pc (without
> soundcard). this because i have an mp3 server connected to my stereo, but i
> want to be able to start them from anywhere over the network.

The Network Audio System (NAS) might be useful to you.  It's in the
ports.  There are other possible solutions.

> bluuurgh

> This message, including attached files, is confidential and intended for
> only the addressee. Any unauthorised use, dissemination of the information,
> or copying of this message is prohibited. If you receive a message not being
> the addressee, please notify the sender by returning the email immediately
> and delete the message.

Well, I wasn't the addressee, so here's your message back.

- Bob