Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:49:31 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System-wide environment variables

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 10:18:42PM -0500, Joe Clarke wrote:

<snip>
> gdm as of 2.2.5.4_1 should support login.conf and .login_conf.  Let
> freebsd-gnome@ know if you find problems.

This has become an extrememly confused discsussion which looking back
I must say comes from a rather unclear initial questions !

All the answers may be right(or worng), it depends on how the question is
interpreted.

To me it looked like the question had nothing to do with logging in at
all in any shape size or form, console, gdm, kdm or whatever..but a
question about the environment surrounding daemon processes or other
processes not started as a consequence of login (e.g. cron processes).

From crontab (5)

 "Environment variables can be set in the crontab.  In BSD or ATT, the
 environment handed to child processes is basically the one from
 /etc/rc."

There is a lesson to be learnt here somewhere :)

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>