Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:28:39 -0500
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Samba Hell (semi-summary)

I got a few inquiries, so I'll submit a semi-summary of what I've found
out.  Maybe
someone can shed light on it.

Firstly, the problem doesn't appear to be with any of my packet filters.

I toyed around with samba 2_0_0beta1 and did some tcpdump and watched
the logs again.  No luck, so I tried diddling with the smb.conf.

I set the "security level = share" and created an smbpasswd file (and
appropriate
entry) and guess what.... it worked.

So, something wasn't working the other way around with "security level =
user".  And
this seems to be related to FreeBSD as far as I can tell, as the problem
doesn't
exist on Solaris (same config).

Anyone recognize this?

Thanks,