Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 12:10:30 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
To:        lambert.org!terry@werple.net.au (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: int type in jmpbuf

> > two threads each doing while(1); ??
>
> Shoot the programmer.  8-).

Attempted suicide is against the law here - I'm a rotten shot. 8-).

> Seriously, nothing requires that the scheduling of threads be preemptive.

We have process control software that runs really nicely with preemptive time
slicing. I'll concede that its not _required_, but I like the way the software
runs as is.

> If you need it, you should add a system call (like SunOS has) to save
> and restore register state, including the FP registers.

We're doing as the MIT pthreads code does (__asm__ fsave/frstor) to save and
restore the FP state on entering the scheduler from the real signal handler.
So far we don't see a problem on the 486 we are using.  It's the coprocessor
problem that Bruce was pointing out that we can't cope with. We're treating
that as a limitation and pressing on...

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street