Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:42:14 +0000
From:      Matthew Ryan <matt@overdose.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        dan@slightlystrange.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port Forwarding FreeBSD 4.7_Release

Bill and Dan,

Thanks for your help guys it's sort of working now but for the record
here's the story.

All attempts to start port forwarding from the command line were
failing because NATD was already running (enabled at boot time) DOH!

> b) natd isn't already running with different options when you try to
>    start it on the command line?

Well spotted Bill!

The /etc/rc.conf entry:

natd_flags="-redirect_port tcp 192.168.1.241:xxxx xxxx"

was fine since:

natd_interface="ep0"

specified the interface.

All in all I just should have posted the whole of my /etc/rc.conf in
the first place.

Sorry about that.

The real irony is that it was working all along!!

I just didn't know because i was trying to access the service on the
external IP address of my router from an internal IP address.

When I tried to access it via. my other connection (in effect from
outside) everything worked fine.

I'm sure that there is some reasonable explanation for this to do with
the way that NAT operates  but I can't figure it out.

Any clues?

Thanks Again

Matthew Ryan

Matt@overdose.com

> Daniel Bye wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:07:42PM +0000, Matthew Ryan wrote:
>>> Thanks Dan
>>>
>>> Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work either.
>> Rats!
>>> I get this when I enter on the command line:
>>>
>>> natd -n ep0 -redirect_port tcp 192.168.1.241:xxxx xxxx
>>>
>>> natd: Unable to create divert socket.: Operation not permitted
>> Silly question, I'm almost blushing to ask - you are running the
>> command as
>> root, yes?
>
> Also ... are you sure that:
> a) You have your kernel configured with IPDIVERT?  The GENERIC kernel
>    does _not_.
> b) natd isn't already running with different options when you try to
>    start it on the command line?
>
>>> and no results using the following in /etc/rc.conf:
>>>
>>> natd_flags="-n ep0 -redirect_port tcp 192.168.1.241:xxxx xxxx"
>>>
>>> By the way, the interface is specified already in /etc/rc.conf as
>>> follows?:
>>>
>>> natd_interface="ep0"
>
> This is redundant.  You can remove the "-n ep0" from natd_flags.
>
>>> any other ideas?
>
> I don't know _whats_ wrong.
> But I've got this running in two places with no problems.  It
> works just fine, and as far as I can see, the syntax you're using is
> correct, so I wouldn't focus on that.  Let us know what you find when
> you check the suggestions I made ... I have other suggestions if
> those don't help.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technologies