Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:50:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/36377: kernel path needs to be changed in -current manual pages

The following reply was made to PR docs/36377; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:48:21 -0800 (PST)

 --- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> wrote:
 > Good catch :)
 > I just did the following:
 >
 >     % cd /usr/src
 >     % find . -name '*.[0-9]' | xargs grep /kernel | grep -v /boot/kernel
 >
 > and the files that were caught by the greps are shown below (just in case
 > you want to attack them one by one, and submit patches for those that need
 > to be changed/updated). This is a lot more work that it initially seems
 > though.  One needs to check if the manpage describes what the code does.
 > There might be utilities left that use /kernel, instead of the currently
 > used /boot/kernel/kernel, to find the kernel.  This means that before the
 > manpage is changed, the appropriate source files need to be checked, to
 > make sure that the manpage reflects what really happens in the programs
 > themselves.  We don't want to blindly substitute /boot/kernel/kernel for
 > all the instances of /kernel, and make the manpages inconsistent with the
 > source, right?

 Yup, you are absolutely right, but I according to my limited knowledge, I
 think it doesn't matter if the file is /kernel or /boot/kernel/kernel, as
 nothing is actually hard-coded which points directly to /kernel.. although
 I may be wrong...  maybe someone superior than me has some input to make
 on this issue.. 8-)

 > [ .. snip .. snip .. ]
 src/usr.sbin/kgmon/kgmon.8  - This one is done.  All it needs is the patch
 attached in this PR to be committed as I have checked this in my system as,
 and probably so can you... you will need the "profile" option in your kernel
 and you can do the following on a -CURRENT system if you are unsure about
 my change:

    %su
    [..magic password..]
    #kgmon -B (or -b) -N /boot/kernel/kernel

 The above will work fine with a profile kernel, so in a nutshell, my attached
 patch will not hurt this utility.  For the rest in the list you gave me, I am
 sure it will not take more than two to three days to get it sorted, as I am
 having holidays... :)

 I am working on the list you have provided, and patches should be seen on
 this PR in a few days. :)

 Btw, thanks for the list.

 Thanks,

   -- Hiten Pandya