Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:06:10 -0400
From:      dfolkins <dfolkins@comcast.net>
To:        Fuji Zhang <fzhang3@csd.uwo.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP connection via a GMC router

From: "Fuji Zhang" <fzhang3@csd.uwo.ca>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 11:22 PM
Subject: PPP connection via a GMC router

> hi, i had ADSL working via a D-Link card to Bell Sympatico just fine. then
> my roommate wanted to share the ISP w/ me. so we bought a GMC router. He
> had his Linux box working behind the router. but my FreeBSD box stopped
> working. what am i missing? your help would certainly be appreciated.
> please respond to this address directly as i am not subscribing to list
> now.

maybe if you specify what exactly is not working someone could help you out.
if you mean the network functions are not working, i would recommend going
into your config files to see what's up.  if you previously set your ip
statically in your conf files, you probably now will want to set it through
dhcp (as in, set that interface = to "DHCP" in your rc.conf), because that
gmc router is probably using dhcp to assign your box an internal ip.  to
test out this theory, try running "/sbin/dhclient if0", where if0 is the
name of your ethernet NIC (e.g. xl0, dc0, etc).
hope this helps.
--
dfolkins