Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:43:39 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, sigma@pair.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, green@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FreeBSD-SA-00:41.elf?

* Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com> [000927 14:38] wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > The issue is that most FreeBSD developers do not have a 3.5 machine
> > available for testing - BSDi were supposed to be setting up one for us to
> > use but it has not yet come through. This makes it very hard to test
> > security fixes to the 3.5 branch so we don't break it by just committing
> > blindly (in fact, I think we should officially drop security support for
> > the 3.x branch because in practise it's not being supported for security
> > fixes). I believe the problem is still not fixed in 3.5-STABLE at this
> > time.
>
> One of the features of FreeBSD which I've found appealing in comparison to
> the linuxes I've seen is the relative ease of upgrade and assurance that
> your base system is secure after a simple buildworld/installworld.  I
> think that losing this feature for any version more than three months old
> would be a serious blow to the confidence of FreeBSD users
> everywhere.

[snip]

Before everyone goes off the deep end:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/net/res_send.c

Revision 1.25.2.2 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Sat Sep 23 22:48:45 2000 UTC (3 days, 22 hours ago) by alfred

People are working on 3.x, just because a single developer doesn't
have the reasources at the moment to address a problem doesn't mean
we aren't addressing the issues.