Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:33:17 +0300
From:      Petri Riihikallio <Petri.Riihikallio@Metis.fi>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

>I would very much like to make this list subscriber-only. This will
>cut down dramatically on spam and the inevitable misdirected
>'subscribe' postings.

>Comments? Suggestions? (Keep it brief and focussed, folks!)

Do you know what the black hats are up to?

I occasionally page through some UCE. I have seen many offers for
mass-email software that can subscribe to mailing lists from a
temporary address to do their dirty work. Temporary addresses are
available from the web-mail providers on short notice.

The subscription would need to employ some tricks to avoid
subscription robots. (E.g "reverse the characters in this
confirmation string and append a capital E to the end.) These
excercises would no doubt frustrate several real subscribers as well.

To add to the pain: The new "List-Subscribe: "-header makes it
trivial to locate lists with search engines.
--
Cheers,
Petri

Metis / Petri Riihikallio