Date:      Sat, 05 Apr 2014 16:31:31 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>
Cc:        "'freebsd-arm@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: MARVELL BOARD: RD-88F6281A -CURRENT

On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 23:53 +0200, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> On 05.04.14 23:10, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 22:54 +0200, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm very new to arm hardware, but not to FreeBSD.
> >> I got my hands on a broken (software like) ix2-200 Iomega StorCenter. A
> >> few wires and a screen session allowed me to dive into it and I tried to
> >> boot -CURRENT on it. Below where I end.
> >>
> >> The config I used is the DB-88F6XXX with enabling the INVARIANTS etc.
> >> The board itself identifies as the subject says. It has this:
> >> Soc: 88F6281 A0CPU running @ 1000Mhz L2 running @ 333Mhz
> >> SysClock = 333Mhz , TClock = 200Mhz
> >> DRAM (DDR2) CAS Latency = 5 tRP = 5 tRAS = 18 tRCD=6
> >> DRAM CS[0] base 0x00000000   size 256
> >>
> >> Has anyone a hint or an idea where to start debugging this?
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >> Andreas
> >>
> >> [...]
> >
> > Easy things first, I guess... in sys/boot/fdt/dts/db88f6281.dts I see
> >
> > 		reg = <0x0 0x20000000>;		// 512M at 0x0
> >
> > Try cutting that in half and rebuilding the kernel.
>
> Yep, simple thing! As said, new to the hardware :)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Sure, now I 'hang' in an other area.
>
> mge0: <Marvell Gigabit Ethernet controller> mem 0x72000-0x73fff irq
> 12,13,14,11,46 on simplebus0
> mge0: Ethernet address: 00:d0:b8:1e:3b:df
> mge0: attaching PHYs failed
> --> hangs
> According to the u-boot env I have two eth's and only the second is
> wired and used.
>
> From u-boot:
> Net:   egiga0, egiga1 [PRIME]
>
> Now my questions, how do I enable verbose boot? On PowerPC I know I have
> to do it in boot/loader.conf, here too?
>
> I guess my hardware is different from an eval board, so I expect I'd
> need a customized dts, no? If so, how do I get the information out of
> the u-boot?
> Again, thx a lot!
> Andreas

You're probably not even using loader(8) but rather launching the kernel
directly (only newer arm systems and newer versions of u-boot use
loader).  That means things like tunables and bootverbose have to be
hacked into the kernel, at least for now to make some progress.  The
initarm_early_init() routine in arm/mv/mv_machdep.c is a good place to
throw in a bootverbose=1.

For disabling egiga0 just add status="disabled" to its entry in the dts
file.  Have a look at the dreamplug dts files for an example of setting
up egiga1, but I'm not sure everything will be exactly the same.  You
may need to transplant the phy0 entry from egiga0 into egiga1 for that
box.

The 'bdinfo' command in u-boot sometimes shows lots of good info,
sometimes not so much.

-- Ian