Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 22:26:53 -0500
From:      "David S. Jackson" <deepbsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Daniel Schrock <dschrock@speakeasy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Shane Kinney <shane@freebsdhackers.net>
Subject:   Re: problem with installing new ports

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 04:30:24PM -0600 Daniel Schrock <dschrock@speakeasy.net> wrote:
> well... if your package db has gotten way out of sync with your ports
> collection, it creates a nightmare that only time and effort will fix.
> You have a couple options, both equally suck, but have their merits as well.
>
> option 1:  find the new dependancies or delete the dependancy if it no
> longer exists... once completed, use `portversion -l '<'` to see which
> installed ports have newer versions available.  use portupgrade to get
> them current.  takes forever but usually works...just be careful when
> changing dependancies,
>
> option 2:  remove as many old ports as possible, especically if they are
> not used/needed much and get your collection down to a small level, then
> move up to option 1.  This method is easier, but not necessarily an
> option on many systems. its nice for workstations and cleaning the
> system out, not so good if a production box that requires all ports that
> are installed...
>
> once pkgdb -F can be run without errors, cvsup, use `portsdb -Uu` then
> check for old ports using `portversion -l '<'`.
>
> from this point on, you should have a clean system.  to keep it clean,
> either always run pkgdb -F after installing a port, or always use
> `portinstall -N` to install your ports, which will update pkgdb on its
> own...
>
> portupgrade is pretty much an all or nothing port... if you use it
> religiously, its great... if you forget about it, its a hassle later on
> down the road.
>
> its a great port but works best on fresh installs... its a little harder
> to deal with if you have already installed a lot of ports.

This has been one of the most helpful and practical pieces of advice I
have ever gotten from this terrific list.  Thank You!  I'll start
planning this operation.  (Option 2 first, then Option 1.)

(The portsdb is really still a mystery to me, and after letting it get
so far out of synch as it is, I hope that I too can have a clean system
again without reinstalling from scratch!)

The advice above seems so good that I didn't trim it; I hope someone
else can get as much help out of it as I have and therefore felt it's
worth leaving intact.  :-)

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@dsj.net