Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:39:26 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Gautham Ganapathy <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD.org - Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [OFF] Pentium vs Athlon which is better

> > That said, my Athlon XP 1800+ box runs perfectly happily and almost
> > silently with a 'flower cooler' http://from www.quietpc.com/
> > and a couple
> > of 1500RPM fans.  IMHO this belief that Athlon systems always
> > need extreme
> > cooling is often overstated; it's probably the fault of all the
> > overclocking nuts trying to squeeze every last MHz out of their
> > machines... now you do need some serious cooling to pull that
> > kind of thing
> > off :-)
>
> I have an Athlon (tbird 850) running on an A7V333. AMD approved
> heatsink/fan. The CPU temp often goes to around 85C and the fan is
> genarally at around 6000rpm (smashed my finger on it once). is this
> normal ? motherboard temp is somewhere at 50C. the temp hike is
> generally when i am in freebsd or playing games in win2k. running normal
> apps (ie, editors, etc) is generally not a problem. is this a problem
> b/w the cpu and the mb

The thermal diodes on motherboards are notoriously inaccurate.  My
XP 1800 has a volcano 6cu+ hsf on it, plus the case has 2 5" intake
fans and an 8" exhaust fan.  At full load in FreeBSD the hardware
monitor claims the CPU is at 70C, even though the heat sink is
barely warm to the touch.  On the other hand, if your heatsink is
not seated properly it's possible to get those temps fairly easily,
and 90C is fatal for your CPU.  :-/

Josh