Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:36:07 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Rich Wilson <rwilson@gvpl.victoria.bc.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cron error 'root: not found'

In the last episode (Nov 12), Rich Wilson said:
> I'm running FreeBSD  2.2.7-RELEASE on two machines.  On one of them, I'm
> now getting cron error messages to root every time cron tries to run a
> job.  For example, every 5 minutes, I get one for the atrun command:
> ----------
> >From daemon Thu Nov 12 19:10:00 1998
> Subject: Cron <root@spider> root        /usr/libexec/atrun
>
> root: not found
>
> -----
> I havn't changed my root account in any way (that is, it's still there of
> course).
>
> I also havn't changed root's cron file.  It still has:
> */5     *       *       *       *       root    /usr/libexec/atrun

This shouldn't be in root's crontab.  It should be in the system
crontab, /etc/crontab.  They have slightly different formats.

man 5 crontab says:

     The format of a cron command is very much the V7 standard, with a
     number of upward-compatible extensions.  Each line has five time
     and date fields, followed by a user name (with optional
     ``:<group>'' and ``/<login-class>'' suffixes) if this is the
     system crontab file, followed by a command.

It sounds like you copied the system crontab into root's crontab.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com