Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 00:16:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Rolf Grossmann <grossman@securitas.net>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Bootstrapping with JDK 1.1.8

Hi Kees Jan,

on your webpage you write:

> Currently, the Linux JDK is used to bootstrap the build
> process. The native FreeBSD port of JDK 1.1.8 should be
> sufficient to bootstrap the build process. Could someone
> please test this?

I tried and I'm sorry that I have to report: No, it won't work.

Sun explicitly checks for a JDK 1.2 implementation in their
build/share/tools/sanityck script and (unfortunatly) there is a good
reason they do so. The calling parameters for (at least) javac have
changed quite a bit since 1.1, including what looks to me like some
support especially for bootstrapping (options -bootclasspath and
sourcepath). Removing those results in a lot of "Class not found"
errors, which is when I gave up.

It should still be possible to bootstrap using 1.1, but that will most
likely require reworking the whole process (probably making it incompatible
with 1.2 bootstrapping). As we have the Linux JDK, I don't think it would
be worthwhile to persue this issue.

Now if we could only get a licence to distribute binary releases ... :/

Bye, Rolf