Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:14:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simun Mikecin <numisemis@yahoo.com>
To:        grafan@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, gamato@users.sf.net
Subject:   Re: journaling filesystem

"Rong-en Fan" <grafan@gmail.com> wrote:
>Actually, gjournal has the problem with fast write load. It panics if the
>journal overflows...  I was told by pjd@ that if I have been played with the
>sysctls and it still overflows, then there is nothing we can do...

pjd@ should answer this, but AFAIK journal size should be at least 2 * switch_time * transfer_rate where transfer_rate is your HDD bandwidth in MB/s.
So for a fictional HDD that has 150MB/s (most real HDDs are much lower than this) and the default switch_time (which is 10) that would be:
2 * 10 * 150 = 3000MB for the journal minimum.
I'm sure that increasing journal even more (or reducing switch_time) should make it stable (if it already isn't).