Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:57:16 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Future of RAIDFrame and Vinum (was: Future of RAIDFrame)

--lrLUmiMCPBhU8YVX

On Sunday, 11 January 2004 at 12:08:24 +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:46:49 +1030
> "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> [missing attribution to phk]
>>> I'd say lets kick them both into perforce and let whoever wants
>>> their hands have a go at them.
>>
>> For some definition of perforce, I'm all for it.  Note that there's
>> also an OS-independent mailing list (see
>> http://www.auug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/vinum-devel for joining
>> instructions).
>
> I'm a little bit confused. I've read Pouls mail as an suggestion to
> remove vinum from -current and let people modify it in the perforce
> repository. If I got this wrong, please tell me and everything is fine,
> but if I got it right, do you (Greg) agree to remove it from -current?

No.  As others have said, if phk and I agree, the world will come to
an end.  I'm saying:

1.  Yes, let people hack at it and improve on it outside the source
    tree.
2.  If it works, don't fix it.  At the moment, Vinum works, for some
    definition of "works".

These two aren't incompatible.  Removing existing functionality for
the sake of purity, on the other hand, is unnecessary.

Sadly, much as I love the discussion, I have this conference next
week, starting in less than 12 hours, and I need to sleep first.
Unless the shit hits the fan, don't expect to hear from me for a week.

Greg

--lrLUmiMCPBhU8YVX

--lrLUmiMCPBhU8YVX--