Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 13:28:12 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet Explorer and UNIX

At 06:09 AM 11/4/98 -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 12:46:44PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
>> Drew Baxter wrote:
>> >
>> > Alright, first off, no I meant IE. IE is available for (as you pointed
out)
>> > HP/UX and Solaris.  My question is *why* HP/UX and Solaris?  Why is it
that

>> Because that's where they can make money?  Microsoft is looking to invade
>> the CORPORATE desktop, and this includes people with Sun and HP workstations
>> on their desk, and people with Sun and HP servers in the datacenter and an
>> X terminal on their desk.
>>

>My current contract is at a very big HP/UX shop. HP/UX ships with Netscape
>on the OS CD. We do have IE installed on a few machines but almost no one
>uses it. In most corporate environments IT decides what tools, as in
>editors, browsers, etc, will be on the servers unless some bigwig makes a
>real stink. Most users go along with what ever IT decides to use. Baaaaa !
>
>I don't think microsoft will make much headway with IE on the "Big" Unixes
>in corporate environments simply because IE does not ship on the OS CD. Most
>companies have a whole process to select the software to installed and used
>on their servers. One has to give them a very compelling reason to use a
>particular piece of software. Installing and using IE just because it is
>from microsoft is just not a good enough reason anymore. Lots of big
>companies are using win95/98 just because, and only because, of
>office. Most companies know how bad microsoft software is, there is just
>not a viable alternative to Office out there.
>
>[ DELETED ]
>
>> > Windows NT is easy to obtain at 300 or so bucks (workstation).  But if I'm
>> > getting Netscape Servers under Netscape Free Server Software program
>> > anyway, why not support Free Unixes?
>>
>> Because Netscape can't make money there?  Obviously, they believe they can
>> make more money for their efforts on Solaris, HP/UX, and other "big iron"
>> than on "itty bitty boxes."  Another reason is probably the predominance
>> of Apache and Apache-based solutions at the low end; they have very little
>> incentive to compete in that arena.  Would you want to compete with
something
>> that is entrenched, widely recognized to be a good solution, and FREE?
>
>At this big HP/UX shop we are using Apache for our default web server. I
>asked my supervisor why we were using Apache and not Netscape server. The
>answer was "Everybody is using Apache". Baaaaaa!
>

>Josef
>
>--
>Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.0
>jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses

I use Apache too on my FreeBSD box.  However, the Messenger Express
software doesn't work on anything other than FastTrack and Enterprise
Server.  Have I tried it on Apache? Nope.. Why? because I still have the
damned NT box running Messaging Server and Directory LDAP Server anyway,
might as well have one machine do all of THAT work.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998