Date:      Thu, 15 Sep 2011 23:43:13 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
Cc:        demelier.david@gmail.com, Barbara <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: R: make installworld fails (touch not found)

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 02:18:13AM -0400, Jason Hellenthal wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 07:56:27PM +0200, Barbara wrote:
> >

> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >Today I pulled up the last changes for RELENG_8 branch and I got an
> > >error when doing the make installworld target :
> > >
> > >===> gnu/usr.bin/texinfo/doc (install)
> > >install-info --quiet  --defsection=Miscellaneous  --defentry=  info.info
> > >/usr/share/info/dir
> > >install-info --quiet  --defsection=Miscellaneous  --defentry=
> > >info-stnd.info /usr/share/info/dir
> > >install-info --quiet  --defsection=Miscellaneous  --defentry=
> > >texinfo.info /usr/share/info/dir
> > >install -o root -g wheel -m 444  info.info.gz info-stnd.info.gz
> > >texinfo.info.gz /usr/share/info
> > >===> include (install)
> > >creating osreldate.h from newvers.sh
> > >touch: not found
> > >*** Error code 127
> > >
> > >Stop in /usr/src/include.
> > >*** Error code 1
> > >
> > >Anyone having the same issue?
> > >
> > >Cheers,
> >
> > Forgot to "adjkerntz -i"?
> >

> Don't get why all these references for time are popping up here and why
> everyone seems to think that would make the PATH variable get cut short
> from the environment that newvers.sh is running in, but see the post I
> made to the real thread a few moments earlier.

I believe it's based on the fact that make(1) "freaks out" if the clock
skews too much (particularly, I imagine, if the clock goes backwards).
"Freaks out" means starts behaving oddly.   There is confirmed evidence
of this happening -- it doesn't affect "PATH problems" (for lack of
better phrasing; I hope folks know what I mean by this, I'm not implying
one's dot-files are wrong, etc.), but it does show up as files not
getting compiled or make just bailing at odd/unexpected times.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |