Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 12:04:19 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ambiguity between -STABLE and -RELEASE

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 07:47:23PM +0000, Theo PAGTZIS wrote:
>   just a very basic question that would resolve a dispute between colleagues.
>
> When one talks about Fbsd3.3-STABLE my impression is that such version is a
> stage before the Fbsd3.3-RELEASE. In other words the  -RELEASE is for the
> final version and the -STABLE is the version that is soon (after some further
> bug settling) to become -RELEASE.
>
> Is this the case?

Nope. ;-)  3.3-STABLE is the 3.x branch after 3.3-Release.  It's probably
not correct to talk about 3.3-STABLE except that it tells people that
you are running a version of the 3-STABLE (RELENG_3 to CVS) branch after
3.3-RELEASE.  The way things work is that there is a 3.x branch which
is referred to as 3-STABLE and releases are snapshots of that branch.

-- Brooks

--
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one"