Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:33:37 -0500
From:      "Will Senn" <wsenn@postfuture.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
Subject:   RE: ftp install question

Gerald said:
- Yes, that would make more sense, assuming you can just plug in the IP
-number, subnet mask, machine name and domain name, and DNS servers with
-your cable-modem setup? (I have DSL)

Yes, the cable modem appears to be nothing more than a translator between
the cable and ethernet.  I have an ethernet card that goes to the hub
that goes to the cablemodem that goes to the cable outlet that goes to a
cable router that goes... Anyway, as far as networking goes my pc can
talk 'directly' to ATT's dhcp servers.  They will just refuse to respond
to the query if I don't provide the hostname.  I can of course set my
nics ip and netmask manually, the risk is minimal that the dhcp lease with
ATT will expire.  I just wanna be careful, and do it by the 'book' if
practical/possible.

-Sounds to me like burning the ISO image to a cd-rom would be easier.

Oh, yeah! I know that, I just want to explore the possibilities and
learn more about the internet in the process.

Thanks,

Will