Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 13:57:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD as a proxy server

Howdy all,

I'm going to be building a proxy server for work in the next few
weeks.  I've got a couple of questions.

1.  Is Squid my only alternative?  I've used it before and don't mind
doing it again, but if there are alternatives I'd like to know about
them.  Payware and Freeware are both acceptable.

2.  What type of hardware am I looking at?  I was considering an AMD
K6/2 300/350/400 + 128M + 4.5 Wide SCSI.  It will only serve between
30 and 50 users and internet activity will be kept to a minimum.

3.  How do I configure the box so that the only access to the outside
world is though the proxy?  Can I just take proxied ports out of
/etc/services?  This seems like the wrong answer, but I've never done
this before so maybe it is the right way to do it.

4.  Finally, the higher-ups are worried about virii.  Is it possible
to scan downloads including ActiveX and Java/Javascript at the proxy
before they are passed on to the client machines?  Again, payware is
an acceptable solution.  I believe that solutions such as this exist
for NT, but I've not seen anything for FreeBSD.

As usual, any responses, suggestions, life-lessons, and even random
chatter are appreciated!

Thanks again,
Jim