Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:31:21 -0600
From:      Scot Johnson <scotjohnson@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie Wireless Networking

I recently converted my old HP Pavilion 6330 to FreeBSD 4.5. It has 48
MB RAM, 4GB hard drive, and 300 Mhz AMD K-6 processor.

I also have a small wireless network in my home. An Apple Airport base
station w/ iMac and iBook, both running Mac OS 10.2.3 Jaguar.

  I'd like to try and get the HP on the network. I got a Linksys PCI
card (WMP11) and installed it. I checked the kernel config and it
included wi, awi, an, etc. This lead me to believe that wireless
networking was configured into the kernel.  However, the system doesn't
seem to recognize the PCI card. I'm unsure, however, whether the
specific PCI card I'm using is supported, or I'm just doing something
stupid (which is quite possible).  I used ifconfig and sysinstall to
attempt to configure the networking card. But like I said, it doesn't
show up. If I could get the card to work, my plan would be to use DHCP
to join the network.

I'm basically a novice. I've been working my way through _FreeBSD
Unleashed_ to try and figure this out, but I seem to be stuck. Any
pointers would be greatly appreciated. If I could get this thing up on
the network it would make my day.

Thanks,
Scot