Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:46:36 -0500
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@sydney.worldwide.lemis.com>, "David A. Medeiros" <damzz@mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Offensive figures (wa: Why?)

Doug Barton wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday, 29 June 2000 at 6:19:06 -0400, David A. Medeiros
> > wrote:
> > > Why is a figure offensive in its caricturization used as the logo
> > > for FreeBSD? Thanks!
> >
> > Why, is a figure offensive in its caricturization used as the logo
> > for FreeBSD? The logo represents a daemon. What's offensive about
> > that?
>
> Yes, that's the rationalization for it. But come on. The character is
> a visual pun. It's _clearly_ drawn to represent a devil/demon. The
> high minded "It's really a dAemon" business is just a convenient
> excuse. Why else would BSDi be passing out little devil horns at
> usenix? How would you draw a daemon, really?
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine if y'all want to have your
> little joke. As long as you realize that dogged dedication to it will
> result in limiting the audience for the product. The meta discussion
> about whether that's a good thing, or justified, or an example of the
> stupidity of the general populace is simply not relevant to the sales
> figure argument. It _does_ offend people. If you think that's ok,
> more power to you.

I have to agree. There are some cultures on this planet where images
like the FreeBSD logo are not acceptable. Period. Distributing a
FreeBSD system in such a country using the daemon as sreen saver or
sticker on the PC would be in very poor taste. So while I like that
little daemon, in the interest of marketing FreeBSD throughout the
world it is not a wise choice of a logo.

Gerd