Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:13:25 -0400
From:      Tyson Boellstorff <tysonb@pionet.net>
To:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp installation woes using internal modem.

Basically, I am trying to set up an install over a ppp connection using
an Intel Thor (P5-166) motherboard. I have set the serial ports in CMOS
to auto, and have my internal modem (USR Sportster Orion chipset) hard
set to com 1, irq 4.

When I have this configuration, I am unable to set up ppp on com 1. My
first & only option is com 2.

I set it up next for auto (PNP) configuration, with the same CMOS
settings. This time I was able to see com 1, but now I am not so sure
I'm getting the modem, or just talking to the onboard serial port.

I type in term, but am unable to get a response from any AT commands I
try to send to the modem.  Am I still not seeing the modem?

Anybody have a step by step that will help me out on this? (The
install.txt file mentions that the terminal emulation is a very simple
emulator, and I am at a loss for
1) finding out how to confirm that I am sending AT commands correctly
2) Knowing how to actually set this up.  (I am assuming that things
aren't organized so that negotiation just happens in the background)