Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:42:24 -0500
From:      "Shawn Kennedy" <shawnlkennedy@lucent.com>
To:        "Miroslav Pendev" <shadow@CPE0004761ac738-CM00109515bc65.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DHCP/DNS question

Right.

> In order these to work you must have DHCP and DNS
> servers working together. If you have only DHCP
> you will get IP address no matter what your host name is.
>
> > Situation:
> > ----------
> > I just wiped my box and installed a clean version
> > from the 4.6 iso disks.  I set up DHCP via sysinstall
>
> What was your host name at the NIC configuration screen
> right after you said "YES" for DCHP configuration?
> Did you change the name of your host or the field was empty?
>
> Any illegal characters into your host name like '_'
> for example?

The DHCP config screen had prefilled in some fields, but
hostname was blank. I filled that in myself (and is
correct in /etc/rc.conf). The hostname is fully qualified,
BTW. It doesn't make any difference as I've changed it and
it doesn't matter.

> > so my /etc/dhclient.conf file is empty.  I get
> > an IP address served to me from the DHCP server.
> > When perform an "nslookup", the name of my box is
> > not found and the IP address I get has someone else's
> > box.  If I ping the IP address from another box, it is
> > answered by my box.  This is a mostly-windows system
> > around here, but the Linux guys say it works for them.
> > It used to work for me as well.
> >
> > I spoke to the DNS guy and he says it sounds like I'm not
> > sending the host-name in the DHCP request.
> > Again, a very generic install on my box.
> >
> > Any ideas where to start?
>
> What is the content of /var/db/dhclient.leases  ?
>
> I am not sure if these are the right questions,
> but ... this is what I can help.

Here is what is in my dhclient.leases file.
I have changed some of the data for anonymity.
I'm not too sure Corporate Secuity would be non
to pleased to see any of these addresses on the
net. Notice the "host-name" is not in the lease.

lease {
  interface "xl0";
  fixed-address 135.www.xxx.yyy;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.248.0;
  option routers 135.www.xxx.254;
  option dhcp-lease-time 345600;
  option time-servers 135.aaa.aaa.bbb;
  option dhcp-message-type 5;
  option dhcp-server-identifier 135.aaa.aaa.bbb;
  option domain-name-servers 135.aaa.aaa.ccc,135.aaa.aaa.bbb;
  option netbios-name-servers 135.aaa.ddd.eee,135.aaa.ddd.fff;
  option netbios-node-type 2;
  option domain-name "ih.lucent.com";
  renew 5 2002/6/21 19:53:04;
  rebind 0 2002/6/23 15:17:22;
  expire 1 2002/6/24 03:17:22;
}
lease {
  interface "xl0";
  fixed-address 135.www.xxx.yyy;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.248.0;
  option dhcp-lease-time 345600;
  option routers 135.www.xxx.254;
  option time-servers 135.aaa.aaa.bbb;
  option dhcp-message-type 5;
  option domain-name-servers 135.aaa.aaa.ccc,135.aaa.aaa.bbb;
  option dhcp-server-identifier 135.1.1.110;
  option netbios-name-servers 135.aaa.ddd.eee,135.aaa.ddd.fff;
  option domain-name "ih.lucent.com";
  option netbios-node-type 2;
  renew 6 2002/6/22 03:34:39;
  rebind 0 2002/6/23 15:35:41;