Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 12:28:58 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        "I.Ponomariov" <ikar@irk.ru>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Windows 2000 problem -followup

Dear Ivan Ponomariov,

I am very sorry.

I am afraid I was at the same time thinking of another problem (d***ed
multi...thinking), and I posted another solution :-(

You should restore your **boot manager**.

-------------------- From the multiOS tutorial: -------------------

Most operating systems are very picky about where and how they are
placed on the hard disk. Windows 95 and DOS need to be on the first
primary partition on the first hard disk. OS/2 is the exception. It
can be installed on the first or second disk in a primary or extended
partition. If you are not sure, keep the beginning of the bootable
partitions below the 1024th cylinder.

If you install Windows 95 on an existing BSD system, it will "destroy"
the MBR, and you will have to reinstall your previous boot manager.
Boot Easy can be reinstalled by using the BOOTINST.EXE utility
included in the \TOOLS directory on the CD-ROM, and via ftp. You can
also re-start the installation process and go to the partition editor.
From there, mark the FreeBSD partition as bootable, select Boot
Manager, and then type W to (W)rite out the information to the MBR.
You can now reboot, and Boot Easy should then recognize Windows 95 as
DOS.

The same considerations should apply to Windoze 2000.

Dasveedahnya,
Salvo