Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:40:30 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh@sdf.lonestar.org>
Cc:        kaeru@streamyx.com
Subject:   Re: Looking for something to do?

--=-IVnwWuTXoYHFbVPIN8GG

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 00:38, Tom McLaughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 00:15, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 23:27, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > Ahh, I never knew it was in the Computer folder, which I thought it w=
as=20
> > > supposed to be on the desktop. Now, it's there in the Computer folder=
 and=20
> > > I am able to mount it, so it works! When, I mounted it by either clic=
k=20
> > > right (menu) -> mount or double click, then a new CD icon will appear=
 in=20
> > > the desktop just like if I mount it by the command line. But, one maj=
or=20
> > > problem is that I can't umount it because there's no option to do tha=
t but=20
> > > there has an eject option in the right click menu. The eject doesn't =
work,=20
> > > I get the error following:
> > >=20
> > > Failed to start command (Click on details) -> Failed to execute child=
=20
> > > process "eject" (No such file or directory)
> >=20
> > Right, but it should unmount none-the-less.  I will fix the "eject"
> > problem (i.e. remove the error, but we really don't have an eject
> > command).
> >=20
> > >=20
> > > After I clicked 'OK' from the error msg, then it will umount or the m=
ount=20
> > > died by itself. Weird.
> >=20
> > Right.  Linux has an eject command that will actually open the CD tray.=
=20
> > The closest we have the camcontrol command.  This, of course, only work=
> > with SCSI CD-ROMs.
>=20
> What about cdcontrol?  I have ATAPICAM compiled into my kernel and
> `cdcontrol -f /dev/cd0c eject` and `cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0c eject` both
> eject the disk.  For some reason though the close option will only work
> with acd0c though.

Same problem, you need atapicam as it only works with SCSI.  The
sysutils/eject command was brought back to my attention, and it looks
like the root-exploitable buffer overflows have been fixed.  I'll try to
evaluate this as a possible solution.

Previously, we did use cdcontrol to eject the CDs, but this was sloppy
for the reason listed above.  It would be nice tofind a solution that
works with all CDs regardless of atapicam.

Joe