Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:44:21 +0100
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Daniel Lannstrom <op@trekdanne.se>
Subject:   Re: Mackbook pro nvidia based video backlight

--Ian02MSQ7xDzAZO2

* Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:
>> The ideal solution would be to integrate it into vidcontrol, calling
>> some kind of ioctl on the TTY/consolectl, but syscons is too brainless
>> to know anything about hardware specific features.
>
> Here we are back to what was proposed instead of sysctl. I have to admin=
=20
> that I'm confused now about what you propose as a good solution.

Well, I wouldn't like it if we create character devices, just to let it
implement a single ioctl() ("/dev/backlight", for example). There is
only 1 parameter that's adjustable, namely the backlight intensity. A
sysctl is a good place to store such things.

In my opinion we should only use character devices for devices that
have the semantics of a file descriptor, namely to read/write data to
it, perform select(), etc. Saying sysctl is bad, because it doesn't
allow any permissions should be considered to be a defect of sysctl, not
an advantage of devfs.

The reason why I prefer consolectl, is because it already exists and
allows related graphics parameters to be configured.

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/

--Ian02MSQ7xDzAZO2