Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:30:28 -0800
From:      "Leonard C." <leonardc9@usa.net>
To:        Hardeep Parmar <hardeep.parmar@tatainfotech.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: BPF not working?

At 03:39 AM 3/19/99 , you wrote:
>Pls check wether the command tcpdump shows card in promiscious mode.
>If it does show itself,then check if you are hooked on to switched
>network.Switch allows only the packet destined for your box to reach you
>along with broadcast packets. I am reasonnably convinced that it is 'The'
>problem with your box. Let me know if it is the same problem.
>Bye

icarus# ifconfig -a
ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255
        ether 00:80:c8:0a:2f:c3
ed1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet xx.xx.xx.xx netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast xx.xx.xx.xx
        atalk 4183.139 range 4183-4183 phase 2 broadcast 0.255
        ether 00:80:ad:73:eb:fe

ed1 is definately in promiscous mode from ifconfig.  I've already got
arpwatch running on ed1.  It shouldn't be, but could that be the problem?
I have 4 BPF devices in the kernel.  Also the network is definately not
switched at all since we just use hubs here, but also from the large amount
if network activity and the number of packets rejected as input errors:

icarus# netstat -i
Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
<sic>
ed1   1500  169.229.87/24 icarus          1118142890 827793614 16133140
817 12
65221

Would arpwatch be the problem?

Leonard

--
Support the Blue Ribbon Campaign for free speech online
http://www.eff.org/blueribbon.html