Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:47:47 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The shared /bin and /sbin bikeshed

* Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> [001109 14:35] wrote:
> > * Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> [001109 11:11] wrote:
> > >
> > >     I'd recommend against the linux /lib + /usr/lib model, it's a big
> > >     mess.  I don't see much of a point in cutting the size of /bin and
> > >     /sbin down, they are already fairly small (3.8M and 10M) and it
> > >     isn't as though we need the disk space!  The static nature of
> > >     /bin and /sbin have saved me more times then I can remember.  I also
> > >     have unfond memories of blowing /lib up under linux and not being
> > >     able to do anything.
> >
> > root on a Linux box is unable to do squat when the machine is almost
> > out of memory because he can't map in /lib/libc.so to run 'ps' or
> > even another copy of bash.
>
> Um.  And root on a BSD box is equally screwed when there's no memory left
> to map in the text segment of 'ps' which just happens to contain another
> copy of libc.
>
> The difference being that if libc is shared, it's already mapped in for
> the hundreds of other programs using it, so you're *better* off, not
> worse.

The real difference here is that I've seen several instances of a
Linux box unable to cope with this situation and a FreeBSD box
cope.  Linux locked up and FreeBSD 'gracefully' shot a process dead
and free'd up some memory.

What "should" happen versus what _did_ happen doesn't make what
did happen untrue.