Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:23:26 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        "Kim C. Callis" <kcallis@c2associates.net>, Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NICs & modems

Darryl Okahata wrote:

> > set it to mode 1, both lights go out. If it is set to mode 3, one light
> > flashes, but still nothing. This is driving me to drink!
>      [ ... ]
> > WEP is enabled with a 10 character hex key which is correct. The same key
> > functions for all of our linux laptops. And I double checked it on the
> > Airport which is providing our point to point.
>
>      If you're using an Apple Airport, you must use BSS mode (mode 1);
> mode 3 is ad-hoc mode, which does not and cannot communicate with access
> points like the Airport.
>
>      Unless you void the warranty, the Airport can only handle 40-bit
> encryption.  Make sure your keys are short enough.  Also, make sure that
> you've enabled encryption; setting the encryption key does not enable
> encryption (it just sets the key).  And make sure that you've selected
> the correct key (of the four possible keys), if encryption is enabled.
>
>      Is the network name correct?  It's got to match the network name on
> the Airport (unless you set it to "ANY", I believe).
>
>      Is the channel correct?
>
>      See the wicontrol man page for more information.

Also, even if you drop the encryption stregth, can a Gold card
communicate
with a Silver Card (found in the Airport)?  I thought the Gold card used
a different encryption scheme that was incompatabile with the standard
scheme that the Silver card uses.

Have you tried turning off encryption at both the card and the base
station?

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org