Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 21:57:02 +0100
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        Rakesh Thakkar <rakesh@cell-works.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as Gateway Problem

Rakesh Thakkar <rakesh@cell-works.com> wrote:
>Thank you for your reply..   I went  to my hosts file placed the name  =
of
>the hosts in that file.
>
>192.168.1.1        cc774259-a
>192.168.1.11      win98
>192.168.1.10      win95
>
>This is what the  configuration looks like in my hosts file.  I  saved =
the
>file  as hosts without any extension.   Also, I tried  pinging  it with =
the
>IP address.  But it  keeps saying
>Request timed out.

I think you'll have to start again with this, sorry.
You seem to be saying that the machines win95 and win98 use the FreeBSD =
machine
at 192.168.1.1 as a gateway ok, and yet neither win95 or '98 can ping =
192.168.1.1

One thought is that changing the windows hosts files wouldn't take =
imediate
effect (You'd have to re-boot) but AFAIK hosts would not even be looked =
at if
you ping by IP#.

Another is that the modem could be connected to the switch?  But I doubt =
it.

HTH
John.