Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 17:28:40 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Vitalij Kropko <V_Kropko@ucca.ukrpack.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: support

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 11:06:21AM +0300, Vitalij Kropko wrote:
> Good day!
>
> I want you to answer some questions.
>
> 1.Where I could get full distributive (with packages and ports) of
> FreeBSD (in Ukraine, in Russia; on CD-ROM, on download of any
> web-site)?

How did you find out about this list?  If you did by visiting
www.freebsd.org, then you probably have missed the "Getting FreeBSD"
in the very first page of the site.

> How many space would this distributive occupied?

For me, it takes a single bootable cdrom to install all I need.
The rest I download from the net, after installation finishes.

> 2.How many space would full installation of FreeBSD occupied?

Depending on what you install and what you plan to do with your
FreeBSD installation, anything from 200 Mb to multi-Gigabyte
installations is possible.

> 3.What is term "ports" means? What is term "packages" means?

These are both explained in the Handbook and the FAQ.
See below, if you dont know where the Handbook can be found.

> 4.Does FreeBSD have applications like windows' applications as MS
> Word, MS Excel, file managers, games (card games, adventures,
> 3D-action and others) and others programs?

No, FreeBSD does not have MS Word, or Excel.  These are Windows
specific.  However, it does have other applications and tools that
work better in Unix environments, and are capable of doing similar
things.  It also has file managers, and desktop suites like KDE or
Gnome.  Games are not something that I've used FreeBSD for, though.
You can find out about all this, and the programs that FreeBSD can run
if you visit www.freebsd.org and search for the 'ports' descriptions.
The FreeBSD homepage is at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/

The Documentation pages are probably what you will just love :)
The Handbook and FAQ are very valuable resources, in there.

A few other sites that have FreeBSD specific information, that I can
remember off the top of my head are:

	- http://www.daemonnews.org/
	- http://www.freebsddiary.org/
	- http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/

Before you attempt installing FreeBSD and working with it, it is
certainly a good idea to browse a few of these sites, or any other
related sites you come up with.

-giorgos