Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 13:16:16 -0500
From:      mar7@cec.wustl.edu (Matt Rosenberg)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 2742W and Seagate 43xxxxN

HELP!!!!!
I have installed FreeBSD 2.0.5 on three separate systems using
3 different installation methods and never had a problem.  They
were all, however, to IDE or EIDE HDD's.  Now I'm trying to
install it on a system with only SCSI drives and hit a brick
wall.  The system has an Adaptec 2742W EISA SCSI adaptor and a
Seagate 43xxxxN HDD (3GB).  The system works fine in DOS and
I've run it through a very vigorous battery of diagnostics in
DOS and it's passed with flying colors.  When I try to install
FreeBSD and get to the partitioning section of the install
menu, it says I don't have any HDD's.  During a manual config
during boot, the system correctly probed the ahc1 device and
found the correct information.  During bootup it says it has
found a device sd0, but it incorrectly reads it as 6GB.  (It
flies by too fast to read the exact geometry if it does in fact
show it.)  On ttyv1 I get the following error message:
>ioctl (3,TIOCCONS, NULL)=0 (success)  sd0: error reading
>primary partition table reading fsbn 0 (sd0 bn0; cn0 tn0 sn0)

Physcially the disk has about 2600 cylinders, but under DOS the
BIOS (Award) supported LBA shows the following geometry:
354 cylinders, 255 sides, and 63 sectors per track

I would very much appreciate help as soon as possible.  Thank
you.
Matt Rosenberg
Washington University School of Law
St. Louis, MO, USA