Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:04:09 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: processing incoming mail messages (FreshPorts 2)

On 18 Dec 2000, at 12:26, Joseph Scott wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> # > 	Then my original answer should have simply been, find a box that
> # > will host FreshPorts that can take the load of processing 5000 commit
> # > mails in a minute.  :-)
> #
> # Good idea!
> #
> # Sorry, but after reading my own message, I've seen it's ambiguous.
> #
> # In my previous message, by "process the queue as soon as a new
> # message arrives", I was referring to the procmail scenario mentioned in
> # a prior message.  That is, have procmail deliever each email to a
> # separate file, and process *that* file into FreshPorts as soon as it
> # arrives.  In that context, the "queue" is the files on disk.  With this
> # strategy, I'm sure a P100 could handle things.
>
> 	Sounds like you are saying that the MTA is the problem then.  From
> my original reading and ideas of what FreshPorts does, the problem was
> having 100 copies of the import perl script running at the same time.  In
> the situation where you are still processing as they come, only files
> instead of from the MTA, you will still end up with 100 copies of the
> import script running at once.

Not in the planned scenario.

After procmail delivers the message to file, it notifies a process that
there's a new msg in the queue (I'm told kqueue might help here).  That
process (the Mail Munger) will process the messages one at a time.
Only one instance of the Mail Munger occurs.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://www.freebsddiary.org/