Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:18:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Jensen_Grey <seanj@speakeasy.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@unm.edu>, C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>, Southwell <vizion@ptialaska.net>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IEEE 1394 support

dudes, there aren't any PATENT problems that would effect software to my
knowledge.  there is only a problem if you want to label your product FireWire
(pay apple a dollar per item shipped). Now witness the i.Link and other brand
names popping up around IEEE 1394.

TI is happy to provide info on firewire. They make most of the chipsets shipped
in consumer computer applications. And haven't been seeing the sales they
wanted.

http://www.patents.ibm.com/cgi-bin/patsearch

for 1394, If you have HARDWARE in your hand, all the patent issues have been
care of allready by the manufacturer.

now witness patents like (dont get alarmed)

http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?&pn10=US05938752

which are merely done to prevent someone like rtime from patenting air. I doubt
they will ever enforce it. If you look i think they even patented html. gotta
cover your assets.

Develop first, ask questions later. Besides expressing ideas in code is all
protected under the freedom of speech. No one would ever take that away. B^)

http://www.law.emory.edu/FEDERAL/usconst/amend.html#art-1