Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 09:25:31 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade XFree86-3.3.6? to XFree86-4.X

S. Roberts wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have XFree86-3.3.6 installed on my system. After posting questions
> about my colour / graphics problems with a new monitor, numerous
> respondents advised me to upgrade to XFree86-4.0.2.
>
> Simple question here is, how do I upgrade to XFree86-4.0.2? Please bear
> with me here - yes I've read the handbook, yes, I've read The Complete
> FreeBSD, there's nowhere is either of the two that addresses upgrading
> from a previous XFree86-3.3.6 to a later version.
>
> The handbook mentions installing a later version after completing the
> base installation and then proceeding to install the newer version via
> the ports .., that's it. Nothing about what happens to the original
> files, or what to do before attempting the install. The XFree86 site
> doesn't mention any procedures for doing either.
>
> I'm not hoping to make a big deal out of this, so I'd just like to find
> out if this procedure is documented anywhere, and where it might be.

I haven't seen it documented other than posts on -questions and
-stable. You have to completely remove XFree86 and the ports that use
it. This makes it a "big deal". I ended up doing

pkg_delete -r "XFree*"

cd /var/db/pkg
find . -name +CONTENTS -exec grep -H XFree {} \;

make sure the references are gone. Delete freetype2, and imake. At
this point, some people have also "rm -rf /usr/X11R6/*". That may have
made my effort easier but I didn't do that and have no idea. You will
need freetype2-2.0.9, and imake-4.2.0. They have their own
dependancies and you will need the latest versions. Freetype2 uses
gettext-0.11 and if you have not already done it, you might as well
add it and the gettext-old. I had added both versions of gettext,
automake, and autoconf a long time ago. Once freetype2 and imake-4.2.0
were installed, I used the meta-port and "cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4"
to do my make and make install.

The make and install can take a while. Then, you have to configure the
installation. I used

XFree86 -configure
xf86cfg

The new configure goes in a different location. So, I renamed the
current one to /etc/o.XF86Config.

I had installed a number of ports that used XFree86 and I rebuilt all
of them. The only problem was getting rid of the old configure file
and that is what the rename did. I was also upgrading to kde-3.0 and
did that at the same time. This worked on 4 computers. The 5th is
still locking up but it was locking on on W2K or XP and may be
hardware releated. When it came to the configure, there may be
alternatives.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart