Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 02:37:50 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
To:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        jlemon@flugsvamp.com, darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au, jlemon@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, ps@FreeBSD.ORG, Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Subject:   Re: FTP proxy without translation no longer working? (fwd)

In some email I received from Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group, sie wrote:
> In message <20000521102808.C5468@prism.flugsvamp.com>, Jonathan Lemon writes:
> > On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 02:28:30PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
> > > Jonathan,
> > >          Can you please back these changes out for 4.0_STABLE ?  They appea
> > > to interfere with the operation IP Filter.  I'm happy for these to on the
> > > head and for there to be work required to get things working again.  If I
> > > don't hear/see from you within the next week, I'll assume that you otherwis
> > > are not that concerned and offer to backout the changes myself.
> >
> > Well, instead of backing the changes out, how about we fix the problem
> > instead?  I'm not familiar with IPFilter, but I know that there were
> > some initial problems with ipfw, perhaps the problems here are similar.
> >
> [comments irrelevant to my reply removed]
> >
> > I don't know where IPFilter hooks into the stack, so I don't know
> > where the appropriate point to put this would be.
>
> While we're at it, would it be possible to import IP Filter 3.4.3
> into the -current branch, for merge into -stable before 4.1 or 4.2?
> This will bring IPv6 support into the "native" IP Filter packaged
> with FreeBSD.

I'm only looking at bringing it into -current at this stage.  It would
require testing before bringing into -stable, which I'd hope would
also include bringing across the pfil(9) code - part of the merge into
-current will be to use pfil(9) rather than the current IP Filter hacks
in ip_input.c and ip_output.c.

Currently, I've got 4.0 on my laptop with 3.4.x merged in and running,
however, I was hoping there would be a -current snapshot that I could
burn onto cd and load that up (don't you hate it when your network card
becomes non-functional with an upgrade ?).  The main thing I need to do
is investigate how IP Filter has been setup to merge into the userland
such that I can import it correctly.  Once I'm comfortable in being able
to do that merge, it should not be a biggie.

Darren