Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:07:16 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        "Dragoncrest" <dragoncrest@voyager.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reports are running too early??

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 02:56, Dragoncrest wrote:
> Not sure what to do about this, but for some strange reason all of my
> reports are running 4 hours ahead of schedule.  Cron has everything
> scheduled at the proper 3am, 4am, and 5am like it should, but they're
> actually generating at 11pm, midnight, and 1am instead.  Anyone have an=
> idea why this might be happening?

I notice 4 hours corresponds to your offset from UTC.

I have seen similar sorts of problems on other systems such as HP-UX and=20
Ultrix which normally use TZ environment variable to set the local time z=
one.
It seem that it is difficult to make the entire system see the variable.

However I've not seen the problem on FreeBSD where use of TZ is not the n=
orm=20
although I believe it is available as an alternative method of setting ti=
me=20
zone.

I think if you set the time zone during the normal installation procedure=
 with=20
FreeBSD you will have this set through a file /etc/localtime.

I think tzsetup allows setting this via a menu on an established system -=
-=20
then get rid of TZ if you have it.

Malcolm Kay=20