Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:34:28 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linksys vs cisco

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 02:07:00PM -0400, Brian Reichert wrote:
> My situation:
>
> I have a laptop that dualboots Win98 and FBSD-4.0.
>
> I have a Linksys PCMCIA card that probes as an ed1.
>
> The card, in both OSs, works just dandy on several diferent networks.
>
> On one particular network, the FreeBSD half won't.
>
> Said network has simple topology: on a switched segment, we have
> umpteen Win98 desktops, and one FBSD-4.0 server.  They talk to a
> Cisco 1600 router.
>
> The symptom:  the laptop, in FreeBSD mode can talk to all of the
> hosts, but not to the router.
>
> Initial traffic analysis shows that I never get the 'tell' ARP
> traffic.

I have an update on this, and it gets really weird.  (I finally got back to
the odd network in question.)

1) My problem isn't limited to Cisco, as it turns out: the _only_
   box on this net I can talk to is the FBSD-4.0-R server.  That
   one can talk to the router (and everything else just fine, via
   it's xl - based PCI card).  This server acts as a DHCP server,
   and gleefully assigns an address to my card.

2) This card has a different MAC address, depending on which OS
   booted.

   Win98	00:e0:98:77:1a:b2
   FBSD-4.0-R	01:d4:ff:03:00:20

3) I've pawed though the CIS of this card, and nothing leaps out
   at me.

4) There does not seem to be a way to manually set the MAC address
   of this card via FreeBSD.

5) I've pawed trough a couple of example 'ether 0xNNN' settings
   using examples from pccard.conf.  This causes a wrong MAC address
   to be generated.  Oddly, irrespective of the invented MAC address,
   the other FSBD box can stull talk to it.

6) I pawed through 'pccardc rdattr 0 0 1000', and could not find
   even a subset of the Win98-flavored MAC address in there (no
   two adjoining octects).

   I noticed that the pccard.conf entry for 'Telecom Device
   SuperSocket RE450T' had commented out entries like

	#       ether   0x110 00:e0:98
	#       ether   0xff0 00:e0:98

   Note: these three octets just to happen to match the Win98-flavored
   MAC address.  Conicidence?  I note this format of the 'ether'
   directive is no longer supported...

I've saved raw tcpdumps of ping efforts via both addresses; I can
provide if anyone is willing to poke at them.

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (781) 273-4100 x161