Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 08:42:37 +0200
From:      Michael Schuster - TSC SunOS Germany <michael.schuster@germany.sun.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A new api for asynchronous task execution

Wes Peters wrote:

> > > No, speaking of temporarily elevating the priority of a process holding
> > > a lock to the highest priority of all processes blocking on the lock.
> >
> > You could call this "priority lending" so that the rest of us understand
> > what you're talking about.  8)
>
> The only system I've ever worked on that implements them refer to
> them as inversion-safe or inversion-proof semaphores.  I've never seen
> another name, including "priority lending", in any literature or
> article on the subject.

'scuse me for barging in - this sounds like what I know as "priority
inheritance" (as one solution to the priority inversion problem). Are we
talking of the same thing here? If no, what _is_ the difference? If yes, I
could probably dig up one or two papers using these terms (we do at Sun,
but that's not necessarily the place you're looking ... :-)

cheers
Michael
--
Michael Schuster          / Michael.Schuster@germany.sun.com
Sun Microsystems GmbH     / Richard-Reitzner Allee 8, D-85540 Haar

Recursion, n.: see 'Recursion'