Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:08:55 -0800
From:      rick norman <rick.norman@lmco.com>
To:        mallman@grc.nasa.gov
Cc:        Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>, "'Fran.Lawas-Grodek@grc.nasa.gov'" <Fran.Lawas-Grodek@grc.nasa.gov>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, Cindy.Tran@grc.nasa.gov, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem in High Speed and Long Delay with FreeBSD

Are you sure you're not hitting the top of the pipe and bouncing
around in congestion avoidance ?  Unless your window size limits
your bw at exactly the correct amount, you'll never get the steady state

bw you want.

Mark Allman wrote:

> > Have you checked that both sides are negotiating SACK?
>
> No SACK in 4.1.  But, there is no loss in th connection.
>
> > And both sides are negotiating a window scale option sufficiently
> > large? (sounds like you need a window scale option of at least 5
> > bits?)
>
> We're seeing a shift of 6.
>
> > And the socket-buffer to ttcp is actually being set as large
> > as you think? (perhaps run 'ktrace' or 'truss' on ttcp and look
> > for an error on the setsockopt).
>
> We hacked ttcp to run getsockopt() to tell us if the kernel did not
> honor our setsockopt() request.  All looks fine.
>
> Thanks!  Other ideas?
>
> allman
>
> --
> Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/

"I'm a-goin' to stay where you sleep all day
Where they hung the jerk that invented work
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains"

wk: 408 742 1619
rick.norman@lmco.com

hm: 650 726 0677